If, as now seems the common wisdom, music competition shows are more about the judges than the contestants, The X Factor could hardly have done better in enlisting Britney Spears as a new arbiter of who can cram the most notes into a musical phrase. Spears embodies as much of that indefinable quality that lifts a singer into super-duper-stardom, plus… well, she’s Britney, which means she brings to any professional endeavor that mixture of sweetness, shrewdness, nervous energy, unpretentiousness, and, occasionally, defiance that only finds its full flower when she’s trying most earnestly to be a surrogate for the masses. Which is what she managed to do on her X Factor debut, even while she was being treated like pop royalty. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Simon Cowell (1-3 of 3)
NBC has finally done something right: In hiring Howard Stern to be a judge on America’s Got Talent, the network succeeds on a number of levels. Let’s count ‘em:
1. People like me will start watching America’s Got Talent. I, like millions of Americans, have no use for a talent show that tells me we have talent in this country. Who cares about its endless parade of cute tykes and silly dancers and, as Stern put it on his radio show, “Frank Sinatra impersonators”? But with Stern as a judge, I and many others will give this show another shot, because he’s bound to add a lot of sharp humor and, I’m wagering, a great deal of acute critical observation along with his trademark sarcasm. READ FULL STORY
- 'Catching Fire' tops 'Frozen' on Friday
- Miley Cyrus at Jingle Ball: Santa's twerk shop
- Grammy nominations: 9 snubs/surprises
- Grammys 2014 nominees are...
- 'HIMYM,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Grammy Nominations Concert': Your take?
- Harry Potter U.K. box set gets new art: Books news
- 'Sound of Music': Movie's Von Trapp kids say...
Top 5 Most Read
- Grammy Nominations 2014: See the list of nominees
- Grammy nomination snubs and surprises: Justin Timberlake, Sara Bareilles, Lorde and more
- 'Sound of Music' ratings soar: NBC's biggest Thursday in 4 years
- 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'How I Met Your Mother,' 'Revolution,' 'Supernatural': Find out what's next in the Spoiler Room
- 'Low Winter Sun' canceled by AMC