Today, TV news channels broadcast live President Obama’s new, extensive proposals to try and stop more gun violence. Among his many recommendations was that “Congress should fund research into the effects that violent video games have on young minds. We don’t benefit from ignorance.” But most of the President’s plan was directed at guns. The push-back in the media was immediate. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Politics (1-10 of 205)
Joss Whedon forsees the future under a Mitt Romney administration, he’s set his thoughts down in a video, and it’s just the kind of thing to gobble up on a Sunday before watching The Walking Dead. Whedon’s “Zomney” vid is whimsical yet blunt. READ FULL STORY
The debates are over. What changed as a result of them? Polls show Mitt Romney a lot closer to President Obama — it’s a tighter race ever since Romney’s first-debate victory. By the final debate, Romney had shape-shifted from conservative warrior to agreeable centrist — agreeable in the sense that he spent the night mostly agreeing with what Obama is doing abroad. The message that was sent by his side? Don’t worry, he’s not going to do anything extreme if you elect him. If Romney wins the Presidency, the debates will be seen as a crucial turning point in his campaign. If Obama wins, they’ll be largely forgotten. In this sense, debates every four years follow a similar pattern: Whoever the incumbent is, he is helped or hindered by further exposure of his image and his platform.
But that raises the every-four-years question: Should we be electing Presidents in part because of how well they perform on television, in a stilted, awkward debate format? READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in TV
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman EW portraits
- Jenny Slate booked for 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' season premiere
- 'Interstellar': Comic-Con trailer lands online
- 'Divergent' disturbing deleted scene: Get an eyeful
- Daniel Radcliffe: How Spider-Man let him be a fly on the wall in S.D.
- 'Peter Pan': Let's make it a full-on 'Girls' night out
- 'Walking Dead': Andrew Lincoln on Rick juggling brutality/humanity
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits