Tonight on Law & Order: SVU, you can watch convicted rapist Mike Tyson portray a victim of rape. It’s a perfectly competent performance, even if it doesn’t require Tyson to do much more than be a variation on himself, a tough man who tends to speak, in public, in a soft voice. (Though he does one growling “Get outta here!” quite convincingly.) Still, this is stunt-casting operating at a nervy level of cynicism. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Controversy (1-10 of 305)
The New Normal got a nice little showcase preview after the season premiere of The Voice on Monday night, and it is, in the manner to which we have become accustomed with productions mounted by Ryan Murphy, a briskly-paced mishmash of the well-performed, the extravagantly sentimental, the insufferably self-congratulatory, and the witheringly sarcastic. Plus, NeNe Leakes and a cameo by Gwyneth Paltrow. READ FULL STORY
Gore Vidal, who died on Tuesday at age 86, almost always stirred things up when he appeared on television. Coming on the scene around the same time Marshall McLuhan had dubbed TV the “cool medium,” Vidal heated up the screen with his forthright, usually liberal, often radical, opinions on politics and culture. READ FULL STORY
Early on in The Newsroom this week, Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) delivered a manifesto detailing what his cable-news show News Night would stand for from now on. No more giving viewers what they think they want; the show will give them what Will McAvoy thinks they need. Why? Because, he concluded, “We’re the media elite.” READ FULL STORY
'The Newsroom' premiere review: Did Aaron Sorkin's new HBO series make you mad as hell, or happy as a clam?
The Newsroom, Aaron Sorkin’s return to television, premiered on Sunday night, and let’s get ready to rumble. It’s a series that will serve as an escape-valve of relief, anger, and confirmation, articulating so many things that so many people feel about the frequently-pathetic state of the news media. (In a sense, it wants to be this TV generation’s equivalent to the 1976 movie Network, with the Paddy Chayevsky-written line, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!”) It’s also a series that is going to drive some people crazy. For some, it will be because the show is frequently hectoring and repetitive, and it has storytelling problems with its office romances. But for others, it’s going to make them crazy because no matter how clearly Sorkin states the opposite (on-screen and in interviews), The Newsroom is going to strike them as one long liberal — or as Bill O’Reilly will doubtless label it, “far left” — screed. READ FULL STORY
'The Glass House' premiere review: 'The show they didn't want you to see' was the show you didn't need to watch
The announcer for The Glass House, which premiered on ABC Monday night after The Bachelorette, said this was “the show they didn’t want you to see!” That was intended to be a reference to CBS’ attempts to prevent ABC from airing what it views as a Big Brother rip-off, but after watching the show, I think “they” might actually have been “all humans with brains and a conscience.” READ FULL STORY
The Killing wrapped up its second season on Sunday night by solving the murder case that took about 26 days to solve in Killing-time, but seemed to take a lot longer to many of us who stuck with it. By the end, you may have felt like Mireille Enos’ Sarah Linden did: Like walking away in an exhausted daze.
SPOILER ALERT: DON’T READ FURTHER IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW WHO KILLED ROSIE LARSEN. READ FULL STORY
- 'American Horror Story' recap: 'The Sacred Taking'
- 'Arrow' react: 'The Scientist'
- 'Sherlock' season 3: 10 new photos
- 'Doctor Who' Xmas special: Pics and clips
- Paul Walker tribute from 'Fast & Furious'
- Danny Wells, Luigi of 'Mario Bros.,' dies
- Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman: Let's think this through
- 'Veronica Mars' out 3/14/14 -- and we have a clip!
- Lady Gaga Muppet special a ratings turkey 1427
- Gunfight at the Not Okay Corral 687
- 'The Walking Dead' midseason finale: 'Too Far Gone' spoilers 443
- ‘Fast and Furious’ actor Paul Walker dead after car crash 395
- '12 Years a Slave': The emotional reactions that make director Steve McQueen thankful -- Q&A 369
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' casts Marcia Gay Harden as Christian Grey's mother
- 'Veronica Mars' movie gets a release date; plus, watch a clip! -- EXCLUSIVE
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: 13 thoughts on the bombshell-casting bombshell
- Gal Gadot to star as Wonder Woman in 'Batman Vs. Superman'
- 'American Horror Story': Watch Cordelia and the 'Coven' plot Fiona's murder -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO