If, as now seems the common wisdom, music competition shows are more about the judges than the contestants, The X Factor could hardly have done better in enlisting Britney Spears as a new arbiter of who can cram the most notes into a musical phrase. Spears embodies as much of that indefinable quality that lifts a singer into super-duper-stardom, plus… well, she’s Britney, which means she brings to any professional endeavor that mixture of sweetness, shrewdness, nervous energy, unpretentiousness, and, occasionally, defiance that only finds its full flower when she’s trying most earnestly to be a surrogate for the masses. Which is what she managed to do on her X Factor debut, even while she was being treated like pop royalty. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Britney Spears (1-2 of 2)
I’m not unduly given to gush, but I have to say Britney Spears could not have been more charming on Tuesday afternoon’s Ellen DeGeneres Show. Appearing with Simon Cowell in a trim red dress (Britney, not Simon — Cowell wore, what else, his usual very unhappy white t-shirt), Spears teed up the new season of The X Factor nicely. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in TV
- Fall TV ads graded: Best and worst of 2014
- 'Broad City': Watch brand-new Webisode here
- 'Gotham' recap: What did you think of its 'Pilot'?
- 'Dallas' finale postmortem: Producer, star talk about losing a Ewing
- 'Big Bang Theory' season premiere: 12 favorite laugh lines
- 'Sons of Anarchy' First Look: Welcome back, Venus Van Dam
- 'Blacklist' recap: 'Lord Baltimore'
- 11 things you'll want to know about the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover